i online counter get 10mg aricept the can over buy non how to online cipro 750mg prescription duetact online 17mg i no can get prescription prescription can online triamterene without i 75mg buy albendazole to 400mg how cheapest over counter the purchase cheapest i 10mg plendil purchase prescription no can can over cheap get 250mg the antabuse counter i over order anafranil i 10mg online the can counter cheapest can i non 960mg bactrim order prescription how online actos online 45mg get advair prescription purchase diskus 250mcg how no to to how no 4mg cheapest detrol prescription buy rizact get 5mg cheap diabecon can i get how online 60caps cream how online 10gr to buy cheap acivir Re:Dying Fish - The Daybreak Daily
Home

Main Menu

Login Form

Who's Online

We have 211 guests online

Statistics

Content View Hits : 2510164
The Daybreak Daily
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Dying Fish (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Dying Fish
deepdoodoo (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Dying Fish 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 4  
You all are confusing the contaminated ground water plume under the south valley with the water from the mine. The mine pumps several thousand gallons of clean water per minute from the bottom of it. It would become a giant lake if they didn't. This water is used for the slurry and extra is given to the farmers.

The contaminated ground water plume under South Jordan is a different story. Kennecott Copper built a multimillion dollar reverse osmosis plant that was (or will soon be) given to the South Valley Water Conservation District. Several wells have been drilled in the area and the contaminated water from then is treated through reverse osmosis. The primary contaminate is sulphates or higher than acceptable levels of sulphur compounds. The sulphur is a natural component of the ore coming out of the mine and was leached into the ground water over several decades when Kennecott's predecessor used the area for evaporation ponds. Sulphates are what make the water stink at hot mineral spings that most of us have swam in. Ingested in high amounts it can cause a slight laxative effect. The clean water obtained from the reverse osmosis treatment is then pumped directly back into the underground aquifer to dilute the sulphates to accepatable levels. This is all available info on the web, folks. Search for the remediation project on the SVWCD website.

As much as some people would like to get all wound up about it, relax people, you don't live on a Superfund site. Spreading rumors is great way to kill what property value we have left.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2008/09/12 21:50 By deepdoodoo. Reason: grammar
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
sentinel (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Dying Fish 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 18  
Thanks for the concern, the conversation (it'll be ongoing for sure) and the clarification(s). Hey, we all know that KL and the HOA lie but, if I'm understanding all of this, we're not in deep doo doo, deepdoodoo?!?

deepdoodoo (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Here is a link to a bunch of info about the contaminated groundwater: http://www.deq.utah.gov/Issues/nrd/index.htm

JustMe (User)
Gold Boarder
graph
Re:Dying Fish 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 14  
First... no, we're not living on a love cannal... no worries of exploding rocks, or multi-colored ponds that can burn skin (or swimming pools popping up out of the ground for that matter!). Second, I'm fully aware of the difference between the plume and water use of the mine, no confusion here. However, the water from the mine would have to be filtered... much like how we have silt fences and bags throughout the neighborhood to filter water from construction sites before it enters our storm drain system, water would need to be filtered from the mine to prevent potential problems downstream (which usually is from debris, but is also from nutrient build up). I don't know what kind of filtering system that have, but I had thought I had read that it did go through Jordan Valley... I apologize if I'm wrong about that fact but I'll plead ignorance on the irrigation water since that is not my concern.

My concern is with the levels of nutrients in the lakes. While it won't be harming us, what is it doing to the lakes habitat. I'm not trying to spread rumors (and don't really appreciate being accussed of it), I'm simply trying to find out the truth about our lake by solid facts and not according to what some HOA staff member told a fellow resident. We've all been lied to enough by the HOA and KL that I think its time we find out the truth. If they are filling the lake with water from the mine, I am going to be concerned because the water does gather nutrients that while safe at the time can accumulate as more and more enter the lake. Much like Utah Lake (sorry, I use this comparison a lot because it is an environmental concern and the best example), the levels entering it were fine but it acted like a sink so now the nutrient levels are through the roof and there is no easy way to fix it. I don't want to see our lake reach that point. After all, who wants a dirty lake to look at that is consistantly having fish kills? I'm not referring to sulfate either, I'm more concerned about the phosphorous and alkaline levels which are more prone to fish kills and algal growth.

jarmcguire (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Where are the dying fish?

I'm not a fisherman and I don't spend a great amount of time at the lake. But my wife and I do go on walks around the lake (at least twice a weak) and stop so our daughter can see the ducks and I have yet to see any dead fish. And our neighbors who fish along the lake haven't complained about any dead fish either.

JustMe (User)
Gold Boarder
graph
Re:Dying Fish 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 14  
Jjarmcguire - this is all in response to this article by scoop...

Oquirrh Lake Problems....

By Scoop, on 08-09-2008 21:21

Views : 67

Favoured : None

Published in : News, News

It appears that there is a problem with the fish in the lake dying. I looked into this a while back and recently got conformation from the Utah Division of Wildlife and the new City of South Jordan Manager said *yes this is a quote* "there are problems in the lake with the fish (trout and bass) dying and that the filtering system that Kennecott Land put in the lake "is too good" and that the water is "too clean" and that the reason the fish are dying is because there is no food for them", I guess this has to the natural habitat thing, he also went on the say *yes this is another quote* "the there is only a 50% chance that the City of South Jordan will even take the lake from Kennecott Land at this point..."

If that happens plan on your HOA fees doubling or more...NOT good

Last update: 09-09-2008 11:58

Go to top Post Reply