buy non how to online cipro 750mg prescription to how no 4mg cheapest detrol prescription buy can over cheap get 250mg the antabuse counter i prescription can online triamterene without i 75mg buy over order anafranil i 10mg online the can counter cheapest cream how online 10gr to buy cheap acivir actos online 45mg get cheapest i 10mg plendil purchase prescription no can albendazole to 400mg how cheapest over counter the purchase diabecon can i get how online 60caps rizact get 5mg cheap i online counter get 10mg aricept the can over advair prescription purchase diskus 250mcg how no to duetact online 17mg i no can get prescription can i non 960mg bactrim order prescription how online Re:Kennecott Land closes Oquirrh Lake Beaches as a - The Daybreak Daily
Home Forums

Main Menu

Login Form

Who's Online

We have 206 guests online

Statistics

Content View Hits : 2515658
The Daybreak Daily
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Kennecott Land closes Oquirrh Lake Beaches as a (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Kennecott Land closes Oquirrh Lake Beaches as a
FlyingAce (User)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Kennecott Land closes Oquirrh Lake Beaches as a 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 8  
Gross. Who could have foreseen that having hundreds of people, diapers, and dogs in a tiny area without restroom facilities, adequate trash removal, or a management plan might result in unsanitary or unsafe conditions??? Who'd have thunk?

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2009/09/17 23:34 By FlyingAce.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
GirlInterrupted (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Kennecott Land closes Oquirrh Lake Beaches as a 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 12  
This really makes me sad. No matter the outcome of this debacle, the homeowners will suffer the brunt of any action taken by Kennecott. The people that are responsible and pick up after pets and take care of diapers appropriately will have more rules and restrictions. The people who don't, will act the same irresponsible way no matter what. It was Kennecott's short sighted fervor to market the heck out of this place that lead to a bad situation that everyone saw coming except Kennecott.

The email issued by Kennecott states roundworms are not common to Utah. That is bunk! All warm blooded animals host worms and round worms are some of the most common. The worms live/thrive in soil (not in water) and are transmitted through fecal matter. Soil samples were taken at the lake and I would think they will find worms. However, considering the hygiene of the folks that came to the lake this summer, I'm fairly sure the same worms will be found in their own yards. But since Kennecott has deep pockets, they will insist the worms were from our community and had a big "K" on their backs.

Most that have lived here for a while have heard one or more of my rants about picking up after your pets. This is a real time example of why it has to be done. It's also the reason to dispose of diapers properly and why we don't just go off the path around the lake to relieve ourselves.

FYI-dogs swimming in the lake don't pose a medical threat or an issue with water quality. Dog (or people) feces left on the shoreline is a threat to our water and soil quality.

Oh, and those with kitties, they can be carriers too.

Last Edit: 2009/09/18 00:01 By GirlInterrupted.
littleash (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Kennecott Land closes Oquirrh Lake Beaches as a 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 2  
QUOTE:
But since Kennecott has deep pockets, they will insist the worms were from our community and had a big "K" on their backs.

I didn't get the impression from the email that Daybreak residents were blamed for this, it simply stated that it was South Jordan residents that contracted the worms.

If pet owners are already responsible and clean up after their pets and use a leash, and if parents use the appropriate precautions for small children & diapers, then they don't really have anything to worry about, do they?

hilgi (User)
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Kennecott Land closes Oquirrh Lake Beaches as a 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 4  
We don't even know if the sand has the worms in it. Lets wait and see.

GirlInterrupted (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Kennecott Land closes Oquirrh Lake Beaches as a 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 12  
littleash wrote:
QUOTE:
I didn't get the impression from the email that Daybreak residents were blamed for this, it simply stated that it was South Jordan residents that contracted the worms.

The email also stated the 3 people that contracted roundworms had been swimming at Oquirrh lake throughout the summer.

littleash wrote:
QUOTE:
If pet owners are already responsible and clean up after their pets and use a leash, and if parents use the appropriate precautions for small children & diapers, then they don't really have anything to worry about, do they?

The unfortunate fact is, not everyone is responsible, resident or non-resident. So, for Kennecott to protect their best interest they will have to take measures to control those that aren't responsible. In doing so, residents may loose access or be restricted in certain areas. I'm hoping more for the private ammenity choice but that will lead to greater costs to the homeowners for uncertain level of services.

Going forward, it would only be the prudent corporate move for Kennecott, to revisit the dynamic of the lake and look at potential corporate impact. They know how people have behaved, the worms, whether they exist or not (this time), was a wake up call.

Kennecott is completely safety driven.

GirlInterrupted (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Kennecott released their findings that seven of the test sites were positive for worms. The results are not the least bit surprising. They said tests will be ongoing to determine if the roundworms are exclusive to people or pets. I don't know how they will determine that as roundworms are not completely exclusive. Some do have preferred hosts but can pass to another species. What is different is how the worm acts inside the host.

Kennecott can react in many ways, restricting people to specific spots around the lake, no pets allowed in the area, etc, etc. However, it will not eliminate a potential "worm catastrophe". The worms are naturally occurring in soil and have numerous transport opportunities from current locations to new. If pets are eliminated from areas or people restricted, nothing stops the worm from being transported on clothing/shoes, mice, fox, all types of small carnivores, on occasion birds and beetles. Our community is surrounded by open space that supports wildlife just waiting to enjoy our lake as much as we do.

So, what is the answer to protecting yourself and family? HYGIENE!!!!!! We all know the folks at the lake this summer weren't big proponents of hygiene. Wash your food and hands, especially when eating outdoors. If the kids are playing in the sand, wash hands before eating. If you are working in the garden, wear gloves and wash when done. There are things living in soil other than worms that will kill you, given the right host with a compromised immune system.

Watch the kids and don't let them eat sand or dirt (I know a near impossible task). It's not just the Oquirrh Lake beach where you find nasty stuff in the soil.

Last Edit: 2009/09/18 21:34 By GirlInterrupted.
Go to top Post Reply