duetact online 17mg i no can get prescription diabecon can i get how online 60caps albendazole to 400mg how cheapest over counter the purchase over order anafranil i 10mg online the can counter cheapest actos online 45mg get cheapest i 10mg plendil purchase prescription no can advair prescription purchase diskus 250mcg how no to cream how online 10gr to buy cheap acivir to how no 4mg cheapest detrol prescription buy i online counter get 10mg aricept the can over prescription can online triamterene without i 75mg buy can over cheap get 250mg the antabuse counter i can i non 960mg bactrim order prescription how online rizact get 5mg cheap buy non how to online cipro 750mg prescription Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st - The Daybreak Daily
Home Forums

Main Menu

Login Form

Who's Online

We have 391 guests online

Statistics

Content View Hits : 2493876
The Daybreak Daily
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st
hapafour (User)
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0  
We can really open up Pandora's Box if you want to. You haven't heard anything from the city because Halloween is non-government holiday. They won't regulate how we observe a holiday. It is not even a Utah thing. It is, however, a neighborhood thing. Here in South Jordan, particularly Daybreak, the majority of families will be celebrating this holiday on Saturday. Primarily because most LDS families here choose to spend their Sabbath at church, at home, and with family. Who knows, they might even have a special Halloween themed Sunday dinner. They just don't trick-or-treat on Sunday.

I would bet that most families in Salt Lake proper and in Sugar House will probably get the bulk of their trick-or-treaters on the 31st (the TRUE holiday). Largely, because there is a lower % of LDS families in those communities than here in South Jordan. It is personal and it is up to you how you want to celebrate.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
lemonjenny (User)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0  
Pandoras box? Because I said that this "issue" is due to religious beliefs of the LDS? It sounds from your post like you're agreeing with my point. What's there to argue about?

Mormons don't want to trick or treat on Sunday... that's completely fine with me. But the holiday is on Sunday, so for those whom don't hold those religious beliefs, the holiday will be celebrated on the holiday. Still nothing wrong with that, right? My annoyance is when those of the LDS persuasion try to get everyone ELSE to change the way they celebrate to accommodate them. Don't you think that's a little unkind?

You may think that the majority of Daybreak residents are LDS, but I'm afraid you don't realize that the majority isn't nearly as big as you think. Does any LDS doctrine says anything about doing neighborhood activities on a Sunday? I haven't even heard any LDS leader say something like that. I believe the "rule" is to not work, or force others to work by shopping. I don't see how Trick or Treating breaks that rule. I don't mean to offend or accuse, truly it's just a question. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. (I'm not LDS, so I don't know for sure.)

But, really, that's neither here nor there. I think it's wonderful that you can celebrate however you want. But also realize: anyone who isn't LDS (or, LDS people who don't mind celebrating on Sunday) will be handing out candy on Halloween... the 31st. Maybe Saturday too... I guess it just depends on each particular household. It's just gonna be a weird weekend, is all!

Last Edit: 2010/10/23 00:09 By lemonjenny.
GirlInterrupted (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 12  
If an event/holiday conflicted with our religious belief my family would make the choice to follow our belief and not inflict changes on others. Do LDS believe the Sabbath is complete at sunset as many other religions?

littleash (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 2  
No, I don't believe the sabbath is a sun up/ sun down thing. More of a midnight to midnight thing.

I must say, not all mormons feel trick or treating on Sunday is bad, and it is not fair to lump them all in a group and accuse them of being unkind. In fact, many I know are willing, but they have gotten the vibe that the neighborhood is all doing it on Saturday, so they are just going along with it. Really, there isn't anything wrong or "dark" about visiting neighbors and getting candy. It's all in fun.

I only shared that this happens in other communities for religious AND non religious communities across the US to offer some perspective. Blame who you want for the confusion here in UT, but this isn't unique to our area. I really wish Daybreak would designate a day so we can all enjoy and make the most of it, as well as ensure the safety of those that are out as well. In towns I have been in that changed the date ( once for a Big 10 football game in a small college town! How dare they! haha)they simply designated the date and time for trick or treating and it wasn't a big deal. No one's feeling were hurt and everyone was out at the same time. Then, on actual Halloween, people had fun dinners or parties to celebrate. It worked well.

Hmmm, maybe we will go out trick or treating both nights to ensure we get everyone's house . .. haloween candy . . . yum!

Last Edit: 2010/10/23 06:16 By littleash. Reason: Typos! Oops!
hapafour (User)
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
lemonjenny - alright, I'm sorry about the "Pandora's Box" comment. But you must admit, the mere suggestion of an issue in Utah being and LDS/non-LDS issue tends to bring a lot of emotion and personal bias to the surface. It is really too bad because we moved to Utah, we have lived outside of Utah. This should not be a LDS/non-LDS issue. I do not believe that it is the intention of any LDS to "force" their religion on any others. The fact of the matter remains, however, that in many Christian communities, including Utah, activities such as Halloween are often celebrated by the majority on another day when the holiday falls on Sunday.

We're not trying to be unkind to anyone else but again, Utah's tradition is to celebrate Halloween on Saturday night when the holiday is on Sunday. It is reasonable to believe that as more and more Utahns have different opinions as to what is appropriate on the Sabbath that this tradition may change. LDS doctrine does address more than just working on the Sabbath. Growing up outside of Utah we did not play outside on the Sabbath, period. So yes, there is more to the Sabbath than just not working. This is evident by the LDS tradition not to trick-or-treat on Sunday.

For the record we hope that everyone has a great time on Halloween no matter which day they celebrate it. We will welcome any trick-or-treaters on Sunday at our home. We're certainly not going to turn your kids away.

sentinel (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 18  
hapafour wrote:
Maybe you could place a sign on your door stating "I celebrate on the 31st". Parents will get the message.

{great idea, Hap4}

The 4th fell on a Sunday this year, it wasn't that big of a deal. The weekend actually felt longer.[/quote]

{It was a big deal to all Americans who don't believe that national holidays are subject to regional interpretation and whimsical dismissal}

Go to top Post Reply